Start a new topic
Answered

Filament Tangle

Any advice or suggestions on stopping my filament from tangling on the roll?  If I leave the printer for an extended period of time, I return to find the filament on the roll has "crossed streams" and caused the print to be incomplete.

If I hang around the printer and keep loosening the filament on the roll, the prints are successful.

Best Answer

Most filament spools will have a hole along the brim that, when not in use, you can feed the end of the filament through. This prevents the filament from tangling and is crucial to keep the filament feeding without excessive resistance.

There are also designs on Thingiverse that are meant to perform the same task. By keeping the end of the filament in one place, you prevent it from crossing under another coil.

If a roll has been tangled already, you want to feed out the filament to where it gets caught. This will find your tangle. Then, loosen the affected coils by pressing the released feed back in. Remove the coils over the edge of the brim, then rewrap the coils. This video from Joseph Chiu explains the process and shows how it is done.

Once you've remove the cross in the coil, as long as the end of the filament stays loaded in the printer or clipped on the spool, it's not possible for it to tangle itself.

Hope this helps

Dean

Answer

Most filament spools will have a hole along the brim that, when not in use, you can feed the end of the filament through. This prevents the filament from tangling and is crucial to keep the filament feeding without excessive resistance.

There are also designs on Thingiverse that are meant to perform the same task. By keeping the end of the filament in one place, you prevent it from crossing under another coil.

If a roll has been tangled already, you want to feed out the filament to where it gets caught. This will find your tangle. Then, loosen the affected coils by pressing the released feed back in. Remove the coils over the edge of the brim, then rewrap the coils. This video from Joseph Chiu explains the process and shows how it is done.

Once you've remove the cross in the coil, as long as the end of the filament stays loaded in the printer or clipped on the spool, it's not possible for it to tangle itself.

Hope this helps

Dean

1 person likes this

Easily answered and very well explained.

Customer service is another reason I really like Polar3D!

Login or Signup to post a comment